Saturday 29 October 2011

What's in a name


Yesterday afternoon a new acquaintance, Johnno, kept calling me Rach. ‘Good question Rach ...’ ‘well, Rach, it’s funny you say that ...’ A few references passed before I realised he was referring to me. By then it was too late, so I didn’t correct him. I liked being Rach. She’s more relaxed than I am, her hair’s a bit longer, and she favours navy blue. Rach is less complex, knows the community better, and rarely wears make-up. She likes to read although her political interest wanes faster than mine. I think she was going to be a better friend to Johnno than what I would've been.

While I was away from the table putting Squid in her bed Salt began to tell a few stories, ‘Katie and I went to Tasmania last year ....’ ‘Yes Katie enjoyed it immensely.’ When I returned, without a skip, I was Katie again. Rach wasn’t around long enough for me to miss her, but I think Johnno does.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder where he got Rach from? I get Caroline moderately often, which I have never understood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classic, Caroline. That's not even close !
    I've no clue where Rach came from. I'm not sure we were ever formally introduced. I didn't mind, but I wasn't sure how long I could keep the facade going.

    ReplyDelete